Looking for a taste of local history? Visit the Neely-Soames Historic Homestead, 5311 S. 237th Place, just outside of downtown Kent along the Green River Trail.
This historic 1885 residence features a heritage kitchen garden,
gardening programs run by Master Gardeners, and an annual open house the
third Saturday in August. The space is also available for meetings and
small events, and the gardens are open year-round for self-guided tours.
The home was owned by David Neely and his family who settled in the
Kent Valley in 1854. They moved the home to its current location in
1885, where Neely’s daughter Ruby was born in 1895. Ruby and her husband
Harry Soames lived in the home until Ruby passed away in 1985. The
hand-carved bed where Ruby was born is on display in the home.
The Neely-Soames home is one of the oldest houses in Kent, and was
listed on the State Register of Historic Homes in 1977. It received
significant renovations in 1999 and 2000.